Jill Bracken-Emerson, Attorney
I am a Partner with Emerson Divorce and Accident Injury Attorneys, L.L.C. I have spent my legal career helping people and businesses deal with the legal issues they face – whether it is a severe injury or death of a loved one because of someone else's negligence or a risk management or human resources issue faced by a company. I routinely represent people who have been injured because of auto accidents, falls, nursing home neglect, birth injuries, medical malpractice, and dental malpractice. I also regularly represent families who have lost a loved one because of wrongful death.
I have extensive jury trial experience, having tried seven medical malpractice jury trials to verdict either as first- or second-chair. I have significant experience representing clients in both civil and criminal appeals to the Indiana Court of Appeals, the Indiana Supreme Court, and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. I routinely represent clients in state courts around the State of Indiana, and comfortably represent clients in the federal court of the Southern District of Indiana.
I am honored to have been named as one of the top 100 trial lawyers in the State of Indiana by the National Trial Lawyers Association. The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 is an invitation-only organization composed of the premier trial lawyers from each state in the nation who meet stringent qualifications as civil plaintiff and/or criminal defense trial lawyers. Selection is based on a thorough multi-phase process which includes peer nominations combined with third-party research. Membership is extended solely to the select few of the most qualified attorneys who demonstrate superior qualifications of leadership, reputation, influence, stature, and public profile.
I am also honored to have been selected as a barrister in the Sagamore Inn of Court. The Sagamore Inn of Court is an invitation-only group of civil and criminal attorneys and judges practicing in the metropolitan Indianapolis area.
When I'm not practicing law, I am at home spending time with my three middle-school age kids. I grew up on a farm near Crawfordsville, Indiana where I learned the value of hard work and doing the right thing. After high school, I graduated from Purdue University, then from law school at the Indiana University McKinney School of Law with honors in 1995. My family and I live in Zionsville now. My kids play a lot of sports, so you can often find me at a basketball game or softball game routing on their teams. My oldest daughter excels in the arts, so you may find us attending the school drama club performance or viewing her artwork each March during Youth Art Month. My kids are also involved in 4-H, where they show our family dogs in dog obedience at the Boone County Fair and the Indiana State Fair. My husband is an avid golfer - me, not so much - but I like being outside during the summer so I often tag along to drive the cart.
Thank you for taking the time to learn more about me and how I can help you and your family with your legal problems. I look forward to talking to you, and would be honored to have the opportunity to help you.
Following is a listing of the particulars of my education, background, and experience:
We Can Help!
- Purdue University, B.A., political science, 1990
- Robert H. McKinney School of Law - Indianapolis, J.D., cum laude, 1995
- Indiana Trial Advocacy College, 2000
- Indiana Bar, 1995
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Sagamore Inn of Court, Barrister
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, Sustaining Member
- American Association of Justice (formerly Association of Trial Lawyers of America)
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Boone County Bar Association
- Top 100 Best Plaintiff Attorneys in Indiana, National Trial Lawyers Association 2013, 2014, and 2015
- Indiana Comparative Law Review, member, 1994-1995
- Dean's List, Robert H. McKinney School of Law
- Dean's Tutorial Society, Robert H. McKinney School of Law
- Dean's List, Purdue University
- Mooney v. Anonymous M.D. 4, 991 N.E.2d 465 (Ind. Ct. App. 2013), trans. denied
- Doe Corp. v. Honore, 950 N.E.2d 722 (Ind. Ct. App. 2011)
- Hightshue v. AIG Life Ins. Co., 135 F.3d 1144 (7th Cir. 1998)
- Baley v. Fox, 671 N.E.2d 133, (Ind. Ct. App. 1996)
Seminars and Lectures
- Interplay between the Peer Review Statute and a Claim for Negligent Credentialing, Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, Lifetime Achievement Seminar, 2012
- How Defense Firm Finances Drive Your Medical Malpractice Cases, Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, 2011
- The Personal Injury Case: Mastering the Mountain of Medical Records, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Foundation, 2009
- Presenting a Case to the Medical Review Panel, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Foundation, 2008
- What's It Like to be a Medical Malpractice Attorney?, Southmont Jr. High School Career Fair, 2006
- Small Business Franchising, 2 Ind. Civ.Lit.Rev 89, 2005
- Respecting Human Rights in Population Policies: An International Customary Right to Reproductive Choice, 6 Ind. Int'l & Comp. L. Rev. 197, 1995
- National High School Mock Trial Competition, Judge, 2013
- Founding Member of the Board of Directors, Mountie Mission, July 2006 to 2010
- Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority, 1987 - Present
- Making Strides Breast Cancer Walk, American Cancer Society, Lawyer Spokesperson, 2009
- Parent Volunteer, Zionsville Community School Corporation, 2007 - Present
- Coach, Zionsville Youth Soccer League, 2007, 2008
- Coach, Zionsville Basketball League, 2008, 2009
- Ladoga Elementary Parent Advisory Committee, 2006, 2007
- 4-H Ten-Year Member, 1976-1987
- Montgomery County 4-H Grand Champion Steer, 1981, 1983
For many parents, child custody and parenting time problems create a great amount of unease. Basically in Indiana courts will resolve any dispute about child custody and parenting time according to the best interests of the children involved.
Child support comes with rights and responsibilities. Normally the non-custodial parent pays the parent with primary physical custody a monthly amount which is more or less fixed by the Indiana Child Support Guidelines.
Indiana law creates a presumption that each party to a marriage is entitled to 50% of the marital property. This presumption can vary, but in most cases, each party is awarded 50% of the marital property and 50% of the marital debt.
Whether you are contemplating divorce, or been arrested or injured you are probably scared, unsure what will come next and what to do. Give me a call. We will sit down, go over your options and work to find a way to move forward. Call me or another attorney. But call someone and get the help you deserve.
- JR Emerson, Attorney
I am here to help. I am not here to judge. For nearly 20 years I have been helping people in difficult situations and I would be happy to speak with you to see how I might be able to help you too.
- Jill Bracken-Emerson, Attorney
Schedule a Consultation Now!
If you need help we are happy to talk to you at no charge. Give us a call or click the button to make an appointment.
Our attorneys represent people in need of assistance with personal injuries, car accidents, divorce, family law and DUI/OVWI matters. Our clients typically live in counties throughout central Indiana including, Hamilton County, Boone County, Marion County, Hendricks County, and Johnson County. Please contact our office to learn how we can help.
Copyright © 2012-2021, Emerson Divorce and Accident Injury Attorneys, L.L.C.
The laws governing legal advertising in the state of Indiana require the following statement in any publication of this kind: Advertising Material. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.
This site makes use of licensed stock photography. All photography is for illustrative purposes only and all persons depicted are models unless otherwise noted.
The attorneys at Emerson Divorce and Accident Injury Attorneys, L.L.C. represent individuals and families throughout Indiana. Our attorneys use their courtroom skill and experience to also assist men and women in family law, personal injury, car accident and criminal law matters including divorce, child custody modification, and child support modification in Marion County, Hendricks County, Boone County, Hamilton County, Hancock County, Madison County, Johnson County. Cities in which we practice generally include Zionsville, Lebanon, Whitestown, Carmel, West Clay, Westfield, Noblesville, Fishers, Lawrence, Beech Grove, Speedway, Greenwood, Southport, Franklin, Plainfield, Avon, and Danville, Indiana.