Home Car Accidents What Should I Do if My Child Is Involved in a Car Accident

It's every parent's worst fear: your child has been hurt in a car accident. Such accidents can happen in just a split second due to someone else's carelessness, but the effects can last a lifetime. It's normal to feel upset and confused about what to do next.

At Emerson Divorce and Accident Injury Attorneys, LLC, we're here to support you and your family during this tough time. We have experience standing up for children and families after car accidents in Indianapolis. If your child has been in a car accident as a passenger, we are here to help you get the justice you deserve. We will do everything in our power to hold the responsible party accountable and ensure your child gets the compensation they need. Please feel free to contact us anytime for a free and confidential consultation.

What Should I Do if My Child was a Passenger in a Car Accident?

First things first: make sure your child is safe. After any car accident, your child’s health is the most important thing. Take your child to the emergency room or an urgent care clinic right away. After that, follow up with your child’s regular doctor. Make sure to keep track of all visits and follow the doctor’s advice closely. This is not just important for your child’s recovery but also crucial for any legal steps you might take.

Accidents can be really scary, and they can leave emotional scars, too. Make sure to talk to your child about how they're feeling. It might be necessary to see a therapist or a psychologist, and your pediatrician can recommend someone who can help.

Next, try to understand exactly what happened in the accident. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to the car, and any injuries. Collect names and phone numbers of witnesses, and get a copy of the police report as soon as it's available. It’s also crucial to talk to a lawyer before you speak to any insurance companies. A lawyer can help protect your child’s rights and start an independent investigation.

How Much is My Child's Car Accident Worth?

The compensation for a child injured in a car accident depends on how seriously they are hurt and how it affects their life. Some of the costs you might need to consider include:

  • Medical bills for current and future care.
  • Cost of medications and any necessary medical equipment.
  • Lost future income, especially if your child suffers a long-term disability.
  • Pain and suffering, which can be a major part of the settlement since children do not have lost wages.
  • Modifications needed for your home or car to help with mobility.
  • Cost to replace any damaged property, including the car.

Every situation is different, and only a skilled attorney can tell you how much compensation your family might expect. Your lawyer might also need to work with medical experts and other professionals to figure out the long-term impacts.

Replacing a Car Seat After an Accident

If your child's car seat was in the car during the accident, you might need to replace it. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration suggests replacing car seats after moderate to severe crashes, even if they look okay. Some car seat brands recommend replacement after any accident. Remember, the cost of a new car seat should be included in your settlement if it needs to be replaced.

What Can I Do if My Child was Killed in a Car Accident?

If a child dies because of a car accident, the child's parents can file a wrongful death lawsuit. This can cover:

  • Loss of companionship.
  • Emotional pain from the loss.
  • The value of services the child provided.
  • Funeral and burial costs.
  • Medical and other expenses before the child passed away.

No amount of money can replace your child, but seeking justice can offer some sense of resolution. We at Emerson Divorce and Accident Injury Attorneys, LLC have guided many families through these difficult times.

Talk to Experienced Attorneys About Your Child’s Car Accident

If your child has been injured in a car accident, it's important to act quickly. Laws in Indiana give some extra time for cases involving minors, but evidence can still become less reliable over time. You need an attorney who can handle the insurance companies and help gather all the necessary evidence while you focus on your child's recovery.

Contact Emerson Divorce and Accident Injury Attorneys, LLC today. We're here to defend the rights of children injured by negligent drivers. We offer a free, no-obligation consultation at our offices in the greater Indianapolis area, or we can come to you. Let us help you find the answers you need about your child's rights and options.

We’re Here to Help You!

We are available by phone 24/7 to discuss your case, and we make it a priority to answer all of your questions as soon as possible.

(317) 969-8000

What Our Clients Say

Very professional and knowledgeable, and fighter when needed.”
- Tyler Height, Emerson Law Client
Google Review
JR is a problem solver, he works well with people and is very comfortable in court. My ex and I are decent friends and JR made this a very easy thing for us. I hope you the same! Glad I chose JR, couldn't have imagined this going any smoother than this!”
- Amanda, Emerson Law Client
Google Review